About Me

My photo
I am an extrovert by nature and an introspect when necessary. I enjoy life and do not take it for granted. My passion is to help educators become more effective at what they do, not only through changing practices, but changing assumptions about the students they teach- particularly, students of color, Standard English Leaners, English Language learners and all others who have been systematically denied access to core curriculum and subjugated to low expectations.

28 July 2009

Summer ELL Musings

Summer is not typically the time we as teachers like to do work or talk shop. I mean, we do plenty of that for 10 months a year! But, for those overachievers out there among you who take on extra credits at local universities, attend workshops, catch up on some research or just like to feel like you are doing some learning on your own terms, I have a wonderful ELL resource you may want to look at:

http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/files/accellerate/6/Accellerate_1_4.pdf

This link will take you to a journal called AccELLerate that is published by the National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA). As its name implies, the NCELA exists to compile research pertaining to ELLs and specifically, around issues of high quality instruction for ELLs, at all levels.

This issue has many good articles, not long and hopefully easy to follow. It also has a nice mix of elementary, secondary, policy and general ELL related topics.

So, park yourself at your favorite park bench or dig yourself a nice spot on the sand and add this to your summer reading if you like.

I'll be here when you are finished.

Enjoy the summer sun (and the AcceELLerated learning). Sorry, couldn't help myself!

No comments:

Keep me Informed!

Search