About Me

My photo
I am an extrovert by nature and an introspect when necessary. I enjoy life and do not take it for granted. My passion is to help educators become more effective at what they do, not only through changing practices, but changing assumptions about the students they teach- particularly, students of color, Standard English Leaners, English Language learners and all others who have been systematically denied access to core curriculum and subjugated to low expectations.

10 August 2009

August Rush

Whoa. I feel like I've been throwing out a lot at you already- and the school year hasn't even begun yet! Okay, I'll give it a rest with the advice for a little bit.

But.

I will point you to some places that may be useful to poke around at that are simple to read and will get us all back into the teaching groove.

One good source of easy-to-follow, yet relevant articles based on research is the NEA today (National Education Association) quarterly magazine. This is a good starting point to get a handle on general topics of importance to us as teachers. Every now and again, they specifically address the topic of ELLs. A particularly wonderful and quite recent article appeared in the January 2009 issue titled "A New Look at America's English Language Learners."

You can access it here: http://www.nea.org/home/29160.htm

Okay. That's it.

Go squeeze a bit more sunshine in (unless you live here by the San Francisco Bay) during the countdown to teaching, and the various flavors of professional/staff development days sandwiched in between.

- W

No comments:

Keep me Informed!

Search